Friday 7 November 2008

A poem found in my Dad's papers


Drink


The horse and cow live thirty years

and nothing know of wines and beers,

The Goat and sheep at twenty die

with ne'er a tast of scotch or rye,

The sow drinks water by the ton

and at eighteen is nearly done,

the dog of fifteen cashes in

without the aid of rum and gin,

The cat in milk and water soaks

and then at twelve short years it croaks,

the modest,sober, bone-dry hen

lays eggs for years and dies at ten.

All animals are strictly dry,

they sinless live and swiftly die.

But sinful, ginful, rum-soaked men

survives to three score years and ten.

An some of them, the mighty few

Stay pickled until they're ninety two.

2 comments:

davyh said...

I sincerely hope so anyway.

Ralph said...

I always said that's how I kept my youthful appearance. Pickled!